This is our latest Beta Release, released November 27, 2013.
Beta Releases contain newer fixes and features than our Stable Releases, and by definition not necessarily as stable. While we have tested them out internally, until they've been included in Beta Releases for awhile we won't really consider them to have received enough "airtime" to be considered ready for inclusion in a new Stable Release. They are also released much more frequently than Stable Releases, generally once every few weeks (instead of once every few months) - if the frequency of update notices annoys you, install a Stable Release instead!
Here are the major changes since the most recent Beta Release, r484:
- Port Allow List - The new "Port Settings" tab allows you to unblock ports (incoming and/or outgoing). This means that PeerBlock will not filter any connections from/to those ports. This can for example be used if you're running PeerBlock on a public FTP server, or if you want to ensure that outgoing SMTP mail communications are never blocked. Many thanks to night_stalker_z for his hard work on this feature!
- Separate Settings Tabs - Instead of having one Settings tab with those silly "Next" and "Prev" buttons on it, we've broken that out into two separate "Settings 1" and "Settings 2" tabs.
- I-Blocklist Subscription Settings - To make it easier for you to configure PeerBlock to use an I-Blocklist Subscription, new I-Blocklist Username/PIN fields have been added to the bottom of the "Settings 1" tab.
- Improved List-Update Error Handling - We've worked with I-Blocklist, who hosts the vast majority of the lists people use, to create improved error messaging for the various problems that may occur when updating lists. If something occurs during update-checking, the error message displayed should be much more meaningful.
- Removal of Windows 2000 Support - Windows 2000 is quite old by now, we hope that nobody's still running it; if you are, you can continue using the previous PeerBlock version. This release does support all Windows variants from Windows XP through to Windows 8.1, including server variants. (But not Windows RT.)
- Updated Error Windows - If you encounter a catastrophic error, the message that appears will now tell you to go visit peerblock.com/errors. This will redirect you to a forum-post on which the most common error-messages are displayed, to help you figure out what has gone wrong, and what can be done to fix it.
Get it Here
This is the latest PeerBlock Beta, labeled "1.1+" since it's a post-1.1 pre-1.2 release. This is the recommended download for most (beta) users.
- PeerBlock 1.1+ (r677) Installer - for Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 (all editions)
Just download the above .exe file and run it, and it will take care of everything for you!
The above installer will work fine, regardless of whether you're installing on a "fresh" system or upgrading from a previous Beta (or Stable) Release. If you at some point decide to switch to a Stable Release, you can simply run that installer and it will easily downgrade you. Just remember that if you have PeerBlock running on your machine you'll need to stop it in order for the upgrade install to complete - the installer should remind you of this.
Other Download Options
If you'd rather not use the Installer based version of PeerBlock, you can instead download a "Portable" .zip version. Those files, along with checksum information for all our files if you'd like to verify that your download hasn't been corrupted, can be found on our Other Downloads page.
Thanks for bearing with us for the past couple of years of no updates. We're live again now, and will be continuing to release new versions on an ongoing basis.